The Directorate of Safety, Security and Economic Regulation (DSSER) is one of the six CAA directorates. The overall function of this Directorate is to ensure Safety and Security of the aviation industry and compliance with the ICAO Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs). It is comprised of three main departments: Flight Safety Standards, Aerodromes, Security, Air Navigation Licensing, Economic Regulation
The Directorate of Directorate of Safety, Security and Economic Regulation is responsible for the following:
- Licensing of airlines
- Formulation and enforcement of air transport regulations
- Monitoring of airlines performance
- Provision of guidelines to airlines and user-groups
- Investigation of complaints by various users in the aviation industry
- Advising government on the negotiation of Bilateral Air Services Agreements (BASA) and formulation of both domestic and international air transport policies
- Aircraft clearance
- Administer competence exams to flight crew and aircraft maintenance engineers prior to licensing them
- Inspect and certify aircraft and air operators
- Inspect and license aerodromes
- Enforce national air navigation regulations in conformity with international standards and procedures through surveillance
This department is headed by Manager Flight Safety Standards and it exists to ensure compliance with the ICAO Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) through effective regulation of flight operations, flight crew personnel licensing and airworthiness standards.
This department is headed by Manager Aerodromes, Security, Air Navigation Services Licensing and it exists to ensure professional Aviation licensing of facilities such as aerodromes, fire stations, security services and equipment used in the aviation industry in compliance with relevant ICAO annexes.
This department is headed by Manager Economic Regulation and it exists to facilitate the growth of Air Transport and regulate its growth.
Aviation Security is a core activity / function of the Uganda Civil Aviation Authority (UCAA). The department is responsible for the application of Standards and Recommended Practices contained in Annex 17 to international civil aviation operations